Asian Americans Suffer From An Age 30 Problem
But then, at just the age when we should take advantage of all that education and hard work to soar...
Across Corporate America, Asians are the group least likely to ascend, despite having the most education and experience.
In your 40s and 50s, that could rise to hundreds of thousands each year. Over your career, you could be losing out on millions.
Since in the U.S., wealth is built generationally, the lost earnings and opportunities for you and your family are huge.
Beyond the financial implications, when you start out in life with so much potential, and then watch your future shrivel, that can result in a huge amount of frustration, disappointment, and even shame.
At the heart of the problem? A culture gap.
- 71% of Asian American adults are immigrants, and most US-born Asian Americans are the kids of those immigrants. Meantime, only
- 17% of ALL American adults are immigrants
And in Corporate America, as long as you're isolated, you'll never be able to move up or create greater impact.
We've built a program that's grounded in your identity, and that enables you to break through the biases and cultural gaps which are holding you back.
Designed to be brief yet impactful in order to fit into your busy schedule, we offer a 2.5-hour Masterclass series over 3 weeks to enable you with the knowledge and skills you need to break through once and for all.
WHY: Many Asians were raised in collectivist cultures where the way to move up is to gain a great education, put your head down, work hard and do outstanding work. That’s not how things work in Corporate America. Until you fully understand the game you’re in, you’ll never be a serious player.
OUTCOME: Gain higher ROI for your hard work, empower yourself to take charge of your career and life.
- Learn how our upbringing impacts how we unconsciously behave
- Learn the anthropology of how Asian and Western cultures evolved
- Learn the invisible cultural norms which guide who gain authority and influence in Western workplaces
WHY: Many Asians were raised in families that pushed us toward competence, not confidence. As adults in the workplace, Asians experience the least belonging of all groups, resulting in a continuous loss of self. But in Corporate America, if you don’t fully trust and respect yourself, others won’t trust or respect you.
OUTCOME: Get fully rooted in your own self, and the behaviors that emanate will flow from power and confidence.
- Examine your internal belief systems and cultural self-narratives
- Gain a stronger awareness of how we are viewed by others at work
- Learn how to become confident and comfortable in every situation
WHY: Many Asians are exhorted by friends and colleagues to “Just Speak Up!” In fact, sociologists find that stereotypes of Asians as “cold and competent” lead others to instinctively resent us. This results in a double-bind leading others to undermine us whether we speak up or not.
OUTCOME: Bridge differences to build relationships of warmth and trust so that we can connect deeply with people of all backgrounds.
- Overcome stereotypes to shift from "perpetual foreigner" to savvy insider
- Leverage the science of first impressions to connect and build trust
- Deepen trust and partnership with people of all backgrounds
Asian American Leadership Accelerator
Gain clarity into the unwritten rules of the game. Master them, leverage them, grab hold of your full potential.
The Asian American Leadership Accelerator is not about theories. It’s about action – practical and potent.
Insider guidance from the ultimate insider: Joy Chen, former Deputy Mayor of Los Angeles and executive search leader for Fortune 500 CEOs and Board members.
Fully tailored resources
Immersive and experiential
Elevate your personal brand
Stand out. Network smart. That’s how to turn learning into career acceleration.
Venture capitalist: Jie Li
- Partner at Oak Seed Ventures
- Former Morgan Stanley investment banker
- Harvard MBA
- Cornell University AB
Joy Chen 陈愉
As a child of immigrants, I know how it feels to be an outsider. After many awkward encounters and with the help of key mentors, I've now worked at the top of 3 industries on 3 continents.
- At age 31, I was appointed Deputy Mayor of Los Angeles, where I led the upskilling and integration of a workforce speaking 90+ languages.
- Then, I became an executive search leader at Heidrick & Struggles, and for 7 years found CEOs and Board members for Fortune 500 companies.
- Then, I started a careers blog, which went viral –in China, launching me there as a leadership guru and founder of a global training company which served millions.
Now, I'm back in the USA.
And I'm here to help you develop leaders who leverage the full power and potential of all your people.
Frequently asked questions
We know you’re busy, so we make this fit into your schedule! That’s why we pack your learning in with just three 2.5-hour live sessions. At each session, you’ll get a workbook to help you stay on track, and to guide you in creating an action plan to complete after the session, to help you fast-track your growth going forward.
We believe in fostering a collaborative and personalized learning environment. That's why we maintain an average of 12 learners per cohort. We find this size is small enough to help you forge meaningful relationships, and just big enough to help you benefit from learning and networking with learners from a range of professional backgrounds.
Our sessions are social, immersive and practical. We structure each masterclass according to the latest research on how people learn best. Each session consists of accelerated knowledge-sharing by Joy, followed by cohort discussions where we connect our learnings to our lives. By the end of the Sprint, you’ll have the tools you need to break through and get to the next level.
If you ever sense a culture gap between you and your colleagues, or if you ever experience subtle or overt bias at work, then the Asian American Leadership Accelerator can help you overcome these barriers so that you can reach your potential.
Whether have your own company, or are working at any level in a large company, we will put you in a cohort tailored to you.
Yes! Joy and our team often provides customized training for companies looking to enable their Asian American employees to contribute more fully and access better careers. In-person or online, we’ll work with you to design a unique experience that fits your company’s needs and schedule. To learn more, click below.